Friday, December 16, 2016

TKAM Found Poetry


 


"The Journaled Poems of Atticus Finch: Summer 1935" 

There's a lot of ugly things in this world.
White men cheat black men all the time,
he [Bob Ewell] is out of his mind,
The jury couldn't be expected to take Tom Robinson's words over the Ewell's
But they're still our friends and this is still our home.

I’m no idealist,
But in our courts, all men are created equal.
A defendant’s entitled to the shadow of a doubt.
You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.

I just hope that Jem and Scout come to me for their answers.
When a child asks you something, answer them.
"Don't say nigger, Scout. That's common."
I hope they trust me enough.
They're all I’ve got.

But despite this, I have nothing but pity in my heart.
Mayella is the victim of cruel poverty and ignorance.
Stand in Bob Ewell's shoes for a minute.
Ignorance.


I commented on: Aine's Blog
I commented on: Kezia's Blog
I commented on: Eamonn's Blog




3 comments:

  1. My Found Poem is a take on Atticus's beliefs and thoughts, but formatted to a journal entry, for my poem exhibits an alternative past , in which Atticus had journaled. This specific entry is meant to be written the night before the Tom Robinson Trial. Finch touches on how he would like to raise his kids, Jem and Scout, the moral corruption in Maycomb, and his lack of confidence in Tom's Case. But despite these potential setbacks, he still manages to feel sympathy for the plaintiffs, Bob and Mayella, due to their lower class, "white trash" lifestyle. I had chosen to write in this format, for I believe that it can give the reader a first-person perspective on Atticus, rather than a third-person, which can be heavily filtered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like Melanie A's poem was broader than mine in terms of Atticus's philosophy, as mine is more focused on Atticus's thoughts about race. A thing I likes about this poem was the formatting, and how you actually thought as to how it would look -- and the formatting makes it easy to imagine the narrative you are creating.

    To add to this, I like the way it ends, "But despite this, I have nothing but pity in my heart.
    Mayella is the victim of cruel poverty and ignorance.
    Stand in Bob Ewell's shoes for a minute.
    Ignorance.", in the book, Atticus never really addresses any pity for anyone, at least on the outside. Most people, when journaling, write down things that they would not usually say out loud, but the fact that this is formatted as a Journal entry actually fits quite well.

    ReplyDelete