Friday, April 21, 2017

"Tuesdays With Morrie" Book Blog


Tuesdays with Morrie Initial Reactions

I recently began reading the memoir Tuesdays with Morrie alongside many other students in my Accelerated Language Arts class, and I have paid my upmost attention to it's contents. From the moods/tones the author creates with their language, to the imagery that could be appreciated by even the toughest critic, I have put my full dedication into assuring myself that I understand the reading, and I, not for one word, have been sorry. Tuesdays with Morrie is the book I had been hoping we would eventually read for the longest time. A lighthearted, simple memoir with a good message of enjoying the life you are given. In this blog, I will be sharing my first impressions of the novel and how it has inspired me to cherish my life and the future ahead of me.

One thing that really stood out to me when reading was how simple and nonchalant the author's writing style is. My standards for simplicity may have been lowered, as our class just completed reading the memoir Night, which details a boy's dreadful experience in Auschwitz. I highly doubt this however, as many others who are also reading the novel seem to feel the same. Mitch Albom, the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, speaks to the audience as if they are an acquaintance, rather than an unknown reader. The second reaction I was able to notice was how entertained I was by Morrie's humor. Before reading the memoir, I had low expectations for humor in the novel, in fact, I imagined the Morrie to be an overall somber person, but I was completely wrong. His sense of humor had me laughing throughout and I always found myself wanting to read more.

Tuesdays with Morrie has not only entertained me for hours, but it has also inspired me to create something. Something that I hope to carve in my mind for life. And that is a Bucket list. A bucket list that not only covers goals I plan to achieve within the next 5-10 years or so, but for my entire life. The following is my complete Bucket List as of age 13:

  • Receive a Leading Role in a High School Musical
  • Have at least One Honor Roll Report Card under my Belt
  • Be Accepted to UNLV
  • Study Religion, Philosophy, and Psychology at UNLV
  • Graduate College
  • Become a Flight Attendant (When Younger)
  • Successfully Raise Children as a Single Mother (Through Adoption or Sperm Donor)
  • Become a Middle or High School Guidance Counselor
  • Go on a Trip to Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment